Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cross Stitching an Alphabet discussion...

I met with my cross stitch group on Thursday night and continued with The Prairie Schooler alphabet L is for Leaves.  I think it should be D is for Deer as the deer stands out to me more than the leaves but so-be-it!

The Prairie Schooler Alphabet
L is for Leaves
Stitched on 32 ct white linen
 2 over 2 DMC thread
I love seeing full cross stitch alphabets (all 26 letters stitched together) but haven't started one yet.  I would dearly love to stitch this alphabet as the full sampler.

My concerns are:

- It will be a large sampler even if stitched one over one on 40 count

- Actually stitching one over one on 40 count

- I might lose momentum after stitching 9 or 10 letters

- The design might go out of fashion before I finish it

- I might never finish it!


Of course my concerns could be overcome. Get a magnifier.  Roster the sampler into my week so it is never neglected.  Keep motivated using blog supporters.

Have you ever cross stitched an alphabet? If so, which one? How did you stay motivated to finish it? If you haven't finished why not? I look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks for wandering through thread garden...
                                                               Jan x

9 comments:

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great progress! I actually did stitch a full alphabet once - there were quilt squares, with a teddy bear accompanying each letter and doing/holding something to do with that letter. It was fun! At the end I sewed all the pieces together into a quilt. I guess you just need to find an alphabet you like the look of and enjoy stitching. Also have a clear picture in your mind of what you're going to do with it once you're done - I find if I visualize the end product it's a great motivator to finish.

cucki said...

I so much wanted to stitch these pretty alphabets :)
So sweet x

Chris said...

PS designs never go out of fashion :)

Catherine said...

Timeless!! But I do see the deer before the leaves!!

Anne said...

Oooh! I love this PS design and I think stitching the whole alphabet would be pretty cool. I agree with Chris, PS designs never go out of fashion!!

zenuwpees said...

La broderie est tres belle Marie-Claire

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think the full alphabet would be great. You could always stitch it in two halves so each is more manageable.

The biggest alphabet I've stitched is the Dark Alphabet which came out in parts. I stitched that on 28 over 1. Because it was a part work I found it easy to keep up as I could stitch other things inbetween.
The most amazing alphabet I've seen is Nicola's Victoria Sampler which is truly enormous. I'll try send you a link for it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Here is Nicola's sampler
http://stitchingbyacornishseashore.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/there-is-never-enough-time-to-do.html

And here is my Dark Alphabet
http://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/danse-macabre.html

Julie said...

I stitched a large French Marquoir alphabet. It's easier if you plan to stitch one letter a month and aim to have it done over 2 years. Easy peasy.... Lol